The castle acquired by Louis XVI in 1783, gradually transformed into a charmingresidence, it has very beautiful Rococo and Neo-Pompeian style interiors. Surrounded by formal French gardens, canals, and six islands, the castle today is an offi cial presidential estate, and receives Heads of State invited to France.
The sea shell thatched cottage,decorated by the Duke of Penthièvre for the Princess of Lamballe, has some of the most beautiful marble, and mother of pearl decoration in Europe. The Queen Dairy, tasting place, has been built at Louis XVI demand for Marie Antoinette. This building sheltes a sculpture group “Almathée and the Nymph” by Pierre Julien.